The Oslo Dash

Added 09 Feb 2015

Some of us started from the Heathrow Premier Inn hotel early this morning. John our driver was ready and waiting at 7am and we loaded our luggage and headed for the airport. We're leaving from Terminal Two, which was newly opened only a few months ago. Other guests join us at the terminal. The check-in went more smoothly than Richad and Dawn had expected. The self-service check-in kiosks worked pretty well and duly printed out our boarding cards and luggage labels. That is, until the paper in the printer ran out! Once through security there was plenty of time for a breakfast snack. Dawn spotted a new restaurant owned by celebrity chef, Heston Blumenthal, and insisted she and Richard should try it. 45 minutes later we had enjoyed one of the most costly breakfast meals, but we have to say it was high quality, freshly cooked, beautifully presented and very tasty. Richard will treat Dawn again, in ten years time.

Our Scandinavian Airlines flight took off a little late but made up time in flight and we landed at Oslo Airport more or less on time. On disembarking the aircraft we clear immigration first then have to walk a long corridor and down a long escalator to the luggage hall. We waited for our luggage. And waited. The luggage carousel started up which got us all very excited, but then stopped fairly promptly. Finally our luggage arrived and we encouraged everyone upstairs to the bag drop. After that, we went through security and headed for our next flight gate. Strangely at Oslo, you have to clear immigration and customs and then join any onward, domestic flight. Next year they plan to change the system but for now it is a mad dash through the airport and we just about make the Bergen flight. Less than 45 minutes later we are landing in Bergen Airport. This bit is easy, the airport is small and we grab our luggage and walk a few yards to our private coach. Mirko is our driver. The airport is normally around 45 minutes drive from the city centre but we can use the bus lanes part of the way and in no time at all we're at the Hurtigruten Terminal.

There is a long queue for check-in but Richard and Dawn know the terminal manager and are able to discreetly obtain our guest cabin keys to save a long wait. We all head up stairs to watch the ship's safety film and then we embark MS MIDNATSOL. Our voyage has begun!